Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

Time Well Spent?

For the purpose of this blog I would like to talk about personal and professional sacrifices that have to be made as it pertains to the entertainment industry. Most people are intrigued with entertainment mostly because it is a source of enjoyment and escape for so many. I currently have been spending the beginning of everyday and the end of every night searching for ways to best allocate my time. When I first gained my music business degree from Full Sail University believed that the Knowledge I gained would make my pursuits of being a well renowned music producer more attainable. Knowledge does not eliminate hard work it only shows you the best ways to focus your energy and get the most out of your efforts.

The question is how much are we expected to sacrifice for our craft. I’m currently the creative director for a regional Hip-hop battle league and our 5th event was yesterday. This event had me preoccupied all week but I still have the responsibility of completing my schoolwork, raising a kid and fostering my career. Because of my hectic schedule I had to make a decision to turn in a late assignment to my instructor. The sacrifice that I made was a professional one and I ascertained that a point deduction due to the late submission was a consequence of me over extending myself. The problem is in the entertainment industry if your not over extending yourself its hard to feel productive because all of the really successful individuals brag about their lack of sleep and downtime.   https://soundcloud.com/jayphenry
Education is both a professional and personal pursuit because we expect the ends to justify the means but we must always be aware of what we are willing to give up to succeed in our chosen craft. I missed an assignment because I was to preoccupied doing exactly what my university has taught me to do in my industry. A some point I may also disappoint my daughter because I was too busy doing homework to play with her or stayed out too late at an event to get up early and take her fishing. Life is a gigantic compromise there will always be disparities between your options and desired outcomes. Prioritization and taking responsibility for any perceived shortcomings that you may have intentionally ignored in the past is the best way in my opinion to justify any sacrifices you will ultimately make in order to achieve your goals in entertainment.     https://www.facebook.com/Realspittasbattle?filter=3

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jamaal,

    I definitely appreciate and understand how you feel dealing with time management. Personally, I feel overwhelmed by the amount of work I have to do. I feel even worse when; I have missed an important deadline or forgotten to do something important. I later realized there was a deficiency in my organizational skills. I needed to prioritize my assignments with a suitable to-do list. I’ve learned that having an efficient schedule and tasking list sets me up for success. Things got better for me when made the effort to improve my organizational skills and prioritize my schedule. I wish you the best in all your endeavors as you continue to pursue your goals and dreams. I also appreciate your transparency.
    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete